1.21.2008

Glenn Gould, Paper Clips, Net Content Editing

Yesterday I made the discovery of the entire movie of 'Slaughterhouse Five' on youtube, and split watching it between yesterday. I hadn't seen the film since eighth grade, which was before I read the book, and in many ways the film didn't make a lot of sense to me at that time. After watching the film a second time, what struck me most wasn't the film, which was excellent but naturally lost a lot of content compared to the book, but rather the soundtrack by Glenn Gould. In particular one scene which sticks in my mind now is one where captured US soldiers are being marched through the city of Dresden, over which a harpsichord version of Brandenburg Concerto 4 is being played, showing the gothic architecture of the as-yet-unmarred city.

I looked up Glenn Gould on wikipedia just now. The entry mentions his distinctive humming when he played, which is definitely quite audible on his recording of the Well-Tempered Clavier which I have on my computer, although I don't think it detracts from the music. I will try to find a copy of Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, which I have meant to watch before now.

Naturally it is on youtube. The combination of high speed internet, wikipedia and youtube, along with amazon, is quite a good one.

I passed on the Glenn Gould to my coworker and received some Kun Qu in return. I wonder if it would be possible to trade up to a house ala the Craigslist red paper clip trade maneuver by Kyle MacDonald, originally from Belcarra, British Columbia.

This morning I did some reading online about internet 'editing' here in the PR0Ch. The most recent list of topics is posted here: http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2008/01/internet_censors_latest_working_instructions.php

In many ways, there isn't really that much to be said on the subject that hasn't been said already. I passed the link on to a bunch of friends and got replies back from two, who said basically exactly the same thing: "this is comical". In many ways I can compare the consciousness of the internet editing to the last time I went hiking in the snow and wore a heavy jacket. The jacket got wet as a result of the exertion I was putting forth schlepping a 50 pound backpack while wearing showshoes, but as long as I kept moving, I couldn't feel it. However, as soon as I stopped for a rest, the jacket was cold, wet and uncomfortable.

No comments: